There have been very few reported incidents over the last decade of walkers being accosted; the most common instances relate to petty theft in the bigger towns.
Use your common sense and follow some of our tips:-
- Keep your valuables in a money belt or inner pocket.
- When walking in rural surroundings, be aware of anyone who is hanging around and doesn’t look like a fellow pilgrim.
- Keep your distance and if necessary wait for fellow walkers to catch you up before proceeding; on the Camino, you’ll never have to wait too long for fellow pilgrims.
- We certainly don’t want you to feel that it’s unsafe to walk the Camino.
- Many thousands of travellers walk it every year with no negative incidents unless you include blisters.